Steph Tyler and Elsa Wood will be leading Plant Survey walks in 2014 on behalf of Monmouthshire Plant Group, and MMG supporters are invited to join them.
All are welcome, whether beginners or more experienced botanists. They hope to visit a variety of interesting sites and on some dates visit tetrads (2km x 2km squares) for which there are few data so that the group can record all that is seen, for the New Atlas being produced by South East Wales Biodiversity Records Centre (SEWBReC).
Walks will start at 10 a.m. and continue usually into the afternoon so bring a picnic lunch, drinks etc. Venue details are to be announced or confirmed nearer the time but all will be in vice county 35 (Monmouthshire). The draft programme is:
- Saturday 26th April – Wye Valley Woodland
- Wednesday 21st May – Plant recording in SO32 near Llanvihangel Crucorney
- Saturday 14th June – Grasses, sedges and rushes day at Springdale Farm near Usk
- Wednesday 16th July – Tarren yr Esgob in the Black Mountains, joint meeting with Brecon plant group. You need to be fit to climb up to the crags
- Saturday 16th August – Rogiet Countryside Park. Many rare plants grow on the site
- Wednesday 17th September – Plant recording in beech woods near Crumlin
If you want to come on any date, please let Steph or Elsa know so we can send you full details (see below for contact details). Places will be limited on some walks.
For more information about plant recording see the SEWBReC web site
Joint vc 35 recorders for Monmouthshire